Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Back to running, really

OK, after taking about two weeks off serious running, following the Adirondack half marathon, except for a couple of easy jogs and a couple of 6k runs in Bogota, it's time to get back to it.

I got my Garmin Forerunner 201 back from servicing the other day, and so had no more excuses. Like so much of the northeast US, here in Ottawa it has been rainy for several days, but mercifully nothing like folks in New Jersey and other states have had to endure. Shorts and a Dri-fit shirt were fine this morning, as I headed out on a gloomy yet pleasant day. Followed my Saturday run schedule as published below, and it was great. Didn't really seem to push, yet still did my 9.8 k at a 5:07 pace. Completed the run a couple minutes faster than when I started serious training in August.

I'm doing a10k race next Sunday, the Rattle Me Bones race for the Ottawa Hospital. I have raced it several times; it's great for 10k PBs, because it's usually cool, and virtually dead flat. But in recent years I have been the 50 minute pacer, since the race organizer is a running friend and he was desperate for volunteers. I end up having a whole lot of fun, dressed as a skeleton, and try to do it in about 49:30, maybe a minute or so slower than if I were really racing.

A couple years ago, after finishing in 49:40, a lady in my pace group came up to me, hugged me, and gushed about how great the race was, as she had been trying to break 50 minutes for years. I was pleased, of course. Then 30 seconds later, some jerk came up and gave me crap for being so fast, since he was also trying to break 50 minutes and I was just "way too fast"; I should have been 49:59, I guess. "Have a nice day", I said, and headed for the food tent.

There's also a 1k little kid run, about a half hour after I finish the 10k, and I get to lead them in warm-ups and act like a kid, in my skeleton and mask outfit. They are from about three years old, with parents, up to about 10 or so. When the gun goes off, they are off like jets, having no idea what a K is. I run with them, and it's so much fun. Last year, the marshalls who were supposed to turn them around at the half k mark were not there, and some of the fastest kids just kept going and going. When I realized what had happened, I yelled at a parent to stop and turn the rest of them around, and then went after the leaders. By the time I caught them, and got them turned around, there was no way they could finish first, and they were some pissed. The joys of racing, even as kids!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home