Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Going back to Bogota

In 1996 I found myself in Bogota Colombia, doing some work with Nortel Networks. It's a long story, but suffice to say I became the chairman of a committee to organize the first Terry Fox Run for cancer in that city. We faced enormous challenges, not the least of which was that I spoke virtually no Spanish at that time (although I did become quite fluent before I left). Anyway, with a lot of hard work by the Canadians and Colombians, we pulled it off in very short order and had the most successful Run ever held in a Spanish speaking country at the time.

Since then, it has just kept getting bigger and better, raising a lot of money for cancer research in Colombia. It is my great honour to be going back, tomorrow, to help in the 10th anniversary celebration on Sunday October 9. You may not realize this, but Bogota sits at some 8500 feet elevation, and aside from having a virtually perfect year-round climate, it has 10% less oxygen than what I am used to, so there will be no PB set when I do the 10k Run! Just doing it will be enough.

I will be back online next week. If you are not familiar with the Terry Fox Run, and Terry Fox, one of our true Canadian heroes, visit the website at www.terryfoxrun.org

Hasta luego, mis amigos

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home